Do we need a new association for free scientific software?[modifier]
Frankly, I don't know yet. It is true that there are some existing associations in the direction we wish to go.
- Ofset: an association for the promotion of free educational software.
- SPI: software in public interest.
There are nevertheless a few points which are important for me:
- I prefer an association which is based in France, on behalf of which we can negociate with the CNRS, the INRIA, etc.
- I do think that it useful to have a specific association for free software in science (for similar reasons as in the case of Ofset).
- The system for donations and other "commercial" services should be very simple, modular and transparent.
Please add your thoughts on this issue. I am not yet 100% sure about how things should be carried out. So I am open for all sorts of ideas.